Most Students in Kenya have a four month break in the school year. January is back to school time for the children living at Tumaini Youth Center. In the African Country of Kenya, there are approximately 500 abandoned or orphaned children living on the streets of Kitale Town. Kitale is located in the northwestern region of Kenya and is mostly agriculturally based. Roughly fifty of these children are cared for by Tumaini Youth Center. Each child has a story and a need, we provide life giving necessities, spiritual guidance and hope for the future.
Here are some of the main reasons young children in Kenya can end up homeless:
- A child is orphaned (often by disease).
- A child is abandoned , or dropped off by parents or family members
- There is a lack of food, clothing or education provided by parents
- Tribal differences within their families and communities often create isolated or ostracized children.
- A child is forced to flee from their home due to abusive parents or family members.